Sunday, May 16, 2010

Over the Hill

I'm sitting here on my bed drinking Chamomile tea and watching The Nanny so I thought I'd write about my night yesterday.


Last night was one of my uncles 50th birthday. The theme of the shindig was that whole "over the hill" kind of thing. I don't know if "over the hill" is traditionally the theme of 40th birthdays or 50th (I always thought it was 40) maybe it's whenever people decide they want it to be :). It was a really fun party. I thought I was only going to stay from 4:00-5:30 p.m. but I found out mariachis were going to come so I really wanted to stay and wait to hear them. So I was there by myself, looking like a loner, for a while because my mom had to leave and I don't really get along with a lot of my cousins my age (not that we hate each other we're just too different to get along); and the cousins I do get along with are out of town. I finally just ended up helping an aunt prepare wine glasses for the toast and cutting and passing out the cake--I don't mind doing any of that, I was raised to always help at get-togethers and parties and that's always been what I do at parties so it was a good pass-time for me.

Above: the sparklers-as-candles method.

The thing is, it was so cold! I knew it wasn't going to be a warm day so I wore dark jeans with some camel color knee-high boots and a black and white tie dye cardigan with a tank underneath. I thought that'd be enough to keep me from being cold but I didn't realize the wind was going to be strong, making it feel even colder. I decided to go home at around 7:20 because the mariachi were running late and I was just too cold to wait for them. But my grandma and two of my aunts really wanted me to stay a while longer so I just drove home to change my top and grab a coat and went back to the party. When I got there the mariachi was already playing and it was nice and dusky already and I just felt a good vibe from the whole thing so I was really glad I went back. I love listening to mariachi play because it's part of my culture and they're just so fun. Whenever we hire mariachi we always hire the same group which is really awesome. One of their violin players loves to dance to all the songs he's playing and trust me when I say this: he moves his hips like no other. LOL and that's not necessarily a good thing. I sat with another one of my aunts and watched them perform and heard everyone there singing along with the singer and throwing that custom Mexican song yell :P. I took some video with my phone (my camera ran out of battery) I'm going to post them here, I really hope they work. Beware, the quality is close to horrible but I think it's okay for privacy reasons of all the people you'll see--you can't see their faces well hehe.


It was just a really good party, my uncle was just so happy throughout the night and was thanking me everytime he saw me (I only made the desserts so there really wasn't a need for such thanking but it was nice). I really love my uncle, we've had some really tough times where our families have clashed and me and his daughter have had issues but when I said goodbye last night he told me how much he loved me and no matter what happened I was part of his family and he loved me and he loved his daughter and we were all his family. It made me cry!!! Uuugh! I did not want to cry but he was just so sweet and honest about it I couldn't hold it in. I love and appreciate my whole family even the ones I don't really connect with. They're all wonderful people and I realize I am extremely blessed to have them all in my life and it's wonderful when we can get together to celebrate a birthday and just have a great time.
Well, goodnight. Sorry this post is pretty lengthy, but I hope you enjoyed it along with the pictures and videos.

xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment